500 South Main Westby, Wisconsin 54667
Parish Office: 608-634-3412 Fax: 608-634-6458 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Westby Coon Prairie and Vang Lutheran Parishes have been a vital part of the community for over 150 years. Coon Prairie's religious services were first conducted in 1851 by Rev. C.L Clausen, and later in the year by Rev. Nils Brandt. The congregation was formally organized as Coon Prairie Lutheran Church in 1852, with Rev. H.A. Stub as resident pastor. The first church was completed in 1857.
The present CCP Church is located on the site of the first church in Vernon County and the first Lutheran Church in Western Wisconsin. In 1875 the cornerstone was laid for a large new stone church. The second CCP church was completed in 1878. The addition of Vang congregation to the call in 1898 created a two-point parish.
On Easter Sunday, 1909, the Coon Prairie Church was struck by lightning and burned to the ground. The congregation decided to replace the burned church with two sanctuaries; one on the original site, and one in Westby. The official name of the congregation was later changed from Coon Prairie to Westby Coon Prairie.
Worship the week of Christmas:
Sunday, Dec. 22: 8:30 am service at Vang; 10:00 am service at WCP
Christmas Eve: 3 pm service at CCP (weather permitting) -- WCP if weather is bad; 5 pm service at WCP
Christmas Day: 8:30 service at Vang; 10:00 am service at WCP
Sunday, Dec. 29: 8:30 am service at Vang; 10:00 am service at WCP
Starting September 8, 2013, WCP and Vang Lutheran Parishes will begin a new worship schedule:
WCP Sunday Worship Schedule:
8:00 am - Traditional worship
9:00 am - Sunday School
9:30 am - Contemporary worship
In addition, there will be a coffee fellowship time, Fellesskap, (Norweigian for fellowship) at 9:00 am in the church basement.
Vang Sunday Worship Schedule:
10:00 am - Sunday School
10:45 am - Worship